IMPORTANT NOTE: We sunset this feature on October 4, 2021. You can read more about this change at this blog post.
What does this FAQ cover?
- What is Stage Discovery?
- Can I ban someone from a Stage channel?
- Creating a public Stage
- Joining a public Stage
What is Stage Discovery?
For Community owners of all sizes and subcultures, Stage Discovery will allow you to open up your Stage events to anyone on Discord, beyond just current members of your server. We believe public Stages can be a great way to welcome new members in and grow your community, so we’re excited for you to try it out.
Discord users can utilize the new Stage Discovery feature to join different Stage events, and if they like the event and the people behind it, they can also join the community.
Is this different from Server Discovery?
Yes, Server Discovery allows users to browse different public Servers. Stage Discovery allows users to browse public Stages. Any Community server can create a public Stage channel that is discoverable for users regardless of whether they are a public server.
To learn more about Server Discovery check out this article.
Can I feature any other type of channel in Discovery?
As of right now, only Stage channels are eligible to be featured in Discovery.
What are Stage Channels and how do I set one up?
For information on how to set up a Stage Channel please see our article here.
Will everyone be able to access Stage Discovery?
At launch Stage Discovery will only be available in the following countries: US, AU, CA, GB. We are working fast to expand this new feature out to all of our countries soon!
What platforms will Stage Discovery be available on?
At launch Stage Discovery will be available on Desktop, iOS, and Android, but limited to the countries listed above at launch.
How are Stages recommended in Stage Discovery?
The goal of Stage Discovery is to help people discover events and communities that are of interest to them.
If a user has personalization enabled, a machine learning model will attempt to match you with events in communities that we think you’ll like. To do this, the model looks at factors like what Stages are trending, what relationships exist between communities, and what communities you participate in. The model does not look at the contents of anything you post within Discord.
Reminder: you can decide whether Discord personalizes your Stage Discovery experience with the “Use data to customize my Discord experience” setting under “Privacy and Safety.” If you have personalization turned off, your Stage Discovery page will not be based on any information about you or how you use Discord.
From time to time, we may also highlight certain content that we think will be appealing to the community. This content will be labeled as “featured” or something similar so you can easily identify it in the Stage Discovery tab.
Can I ban someone from a Stage channel?
- Stage channels work just like voice channels. Stage moderators can kick people out of the Stage channel, however that member can still rejoin.
- If you’d like to ensure someone cannot come back to the Stage channel you will need to ban them from the server or remove their permission from being able to see and join the channel.
What about people I’ve blocked?
Joining a room with people you blocked:
- If you block a person, then we will warn you if you join a room where they are also present (either as a moderator, speaker, or listener). The blocked person won't get notified but can see that you are in the same room.
Request/Invite to speak in a room with people blocked:
- If you request to speak or are invited to speak in a room where blocked people are present, then we will prompt you to make sure you are aware that blocked people are present in the room and you are OK with proceeding.
Blocked people joining your room
- You will not get a notification if blocked people join a room you are already in, but you will still get one if you request/are invited to speak with that person still in the room.
How do I report a Stage Channel?
On mobile, you can open up the report Stage option by clicking the gear icon in the top right of the Stage
What rules do public Stage Channels need to follow?
Creating a public Stage
How do I make my Stage public so it appears in Stage Discovery?
To learn more about how to set up a Stage channel including how to make it public, check out this article.
It is important to note:
- When you set your Stage public, it also opens your server to be viewable and joinable by anyone who is listening in to your Stage. However, it does not place you into Server Discovery.
- By default, listeners to the Stage do not join the server. However, they will have the option to view and join it during the event, just as if they have an invite link.
- They will still have to respect any screening or verification process you have in place.
- Once your Stage has ended, your server will no longer be able to be accessible.
- At this time, you cannot make a public Stage without also making your server joinable during the event.
Also, make sure to reference and follow our Stage Channel Guidelines.
What happens when people join my Stage channel from Stage Discovery?
People joining your Stage from Stage Discovery will act like any other audience member joining from your community. They will be placed in the audience and muted by default.
Do listeners who join my Stage from Discovery also join my community?
By default, listeners to the Stage do not join the server. However, they will have the option to view and join it during the event, just as if they have an invite link. They will still have to respect any screening or verification process you have in place.
Will I be able to know who joined the Stage from my community versus Stage Discovery?
No, there will not be a distinction for audience members who joined through Discovery or through the server directly.
Joining a public Stage
What happens when I join a Stage from Stage Discovery?
When joining a Stage from Stage Discovery, you automatically start to listen in to the server’s Stage event.
By default, you will join as a lurker and will not be a permanent member of the server. All other Stage defaults apply: you will join as an audience with your mic muted. You can request to speak if you want, but otherwise, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the conversation.
I like this Stage and the people in it. Can I join the server from the Stage?
Yes! If you love what you’re hearing you can click into the Stage Channel and be brought to the community that is hosting the event. From there, you can click the nag bar at the top of your screen to join the Community and connect with other members!