I'm a dumbass, and my memory is shot so remembering even four numbers is damn hard sometimes, but even I can think up a few simple reasons that this is a horrible idea;
- Increases toxicity and chances of harassment if someone has a "unique username"
- Opens up the chance for people the user doesn't want to interact with to find them
- This includes former or even current abusers, real life family, bullies, etc.*
- Denominators (even if 40%, which is less than half, don't know what they're called) give a huge boost to a users privacy in general
- Relatively minor compared to previous points, but people don't have to lose beloved usernames!
- I'm sure impersonations will become a big ol' issue.... Just like it is on twitter, and instagram.
Talk to your community for once, especially with a one-sided decision like this that has a lot more negative impact (more than I listed I'm sure) than it does good. Remove case sensitivity if it's that much of a problem, add more friggin numbers to the denominators, shorten your inactive account limit. Maybe I'm just silly but I doubt there's 99999 active phibis out there. This is a horrible decision, please for the love of god listen to your damn userbase.
Please sign in to leave a comment.