there are numerous reasons why the removal of the 4 digit discriminator is a horrible idea, but I offer the primary ones, as well as my own personal reasoning:
1) the most enjoyable part of this feature was not needing to worry about whether my desired username was taken, that I could name myself whatever without limitation (as well as 9998 other people with an identical username). now, for example, what is currently TOBY !![4 nums] is gonna have to 708y69 because well... we can't all be TOBY !! now can we? which sucks because we are! it removes one of the most stress-relieving account creating and customizing aspects and opts to look like... twitter (ew)
2) it won't solve any kind of bot or impersonation issue. if people were dumb enough to fall for impersonators then, they'll fall for them now- that's just how the world works. same goes for bots, they'll still get made, they still cause issues. if anything this will just create a new issue of hacking for the sake of getting better usernames.
3) enjoy the username black market! need I elaborate on this? it's ridiculous. I've seen people on pay insane amounts for usernames on other platforms, I've seen accounts hacked and stolen for usernames, I've seen people *harassed* simply for having a "good" username. this creates a massive iceberg of new username related issues that literally no one wants to deal with. (ps: you won't be getting paid for any sold usernames!)
4) it removes yet another feature that made purchasing nitro worth it. custom discriminators were one of the parts so many people enjoyed about it, in fact I have a friend who exclusively buys nitro to make his #6969! enjoy less money I guess.
5) on the more personal note- this makes me and other afab, queer, and/or poc users at even higher risk of harassment for simply existing. this is already an issue on the platform, but the numbers, the ability to freely change names, etc protected us more than setting changes ever did. now we're losing that and it's absolutely going to put us in a horrible position.
I'm absolutely certain that I will be finding an alternative to discord, as well as cancelling my nitro subscription, if this goes through. even if I have to use skype of all things, I have no interest in supporting a company that clearly doesn't understand what it's userbase wants or needs.
Please sign in to leave a comment.