Server Group DMs
It would be nice to have group chats specific to servers.
These are different from text and video channels. Basically Server Group DMs are identical to Group DMs but connected to a server using server specific information. I think DM groups are limited to 10 which is perfect. This also helps keeping communication inside the server instead of having go to the home interface for direct communications with people in that server.
A Server DM group:
- can have a group name.
- It uses the users server nick names.
- Shows in the server left window just like text and voice channels
- Will show in your discord DM area where you see normal DMs now but has the server icon it is connected to.
- It is its own chat even if you have a DM Group with the same people outside the server.
- Can only invite people to the group if they are on the server.
- If a user is removed from a server and are in a Server DM then they either cannot see the chat anymore on the server channel menu or in their own DM area. If they are added back to the server they can then see the same groups again unless specifically kicked out of that Server Group
- Can do video calls just like normal DM groups.
- right click user name on right side has option to create Server DM. Will ask for group name before creating
- Button in top right on the server view to create a new Server DM just like in Discord home area creating a Group DM
- Default Server DM names are same as Group DM names. Just lists out user names. The difference is it will use the server nickname.
- Server Option to allow users to create Server DMs, Can go in the privacy settings area with the allow messaging server users.
With this would be nice to have 2 search functions.
- Search bar in channels area (filters to find a text, voice or Server DM group). This is very much like the search in the discord home area "Find or start a conversation" just specific to that server. Users do not show up.
- Search bar in users area (on right of server) keeping users in groups but only showing the matching users. This allows clicking and right clicking like you can do normally on a user to easily message or in this case start a Server DM.
It's funny how this feature is downvote but was still implemented (see Destiny 2 LFG server).
It's actually pretty useful. Thanks for suggesting it, I hope someone saw and thought it's actually a great thing.0
Anyone downvoting this obviously doesn't want Discord to grow and be used in any serious organisational context.0
Please sign in to leave a comment.