Look. I don't mean to come off as unnecessarily harsh, but I can't think of a better way to say it. I don't think a single person asked for this update- I most certainly did not. I am not enjoying it at all. I'll go through everything I've noticed and give a detailed analysis on why it's not a good time.
- The message dividers are gone. This is what I immediately noticed upon logging into Discord today because I started to feel claustrophobic at once. I wasn't aware how much of a difference those dividers made. Now everything starts to become jumbled together. I can hardly focus on one spot of the screen as it is, but this made everything so much worse. I can hardly read messages at all because my attention keeps getting taken to different parts of the screen. Speaking of...
- The emoji reaction bar. Why, oh why, did you think this was a necessary change? This is the most obtrusive part of the update to me. Every time I hover over a message, I'm greeted by this godforsaken emoji bar to the right of the screen. Why? Who asked for this? This is not convenient to anyone. I'm going to need to click the emoji button to find the emoji I want to react with, anyways- why does it need to immediately draw my attention there every time my mouse happens to hover over a message?
- Speaking of hovering over a message, the little highlight that shows up when you do so. Why? This is something I suppose I can deal with, but... just... why? It seems pretty pointless to me, because it does nothing to help me focus on a specific message, because
1. I'm trying to avoid hovering over messages as much as possible to not see the emoji reaction bar
2. MESSAGE DIVIDERS ARE GONE. I CANNOT FOCUS ON A SINGLE MESSAGE ANYMORE.
- This is a much more minor gripe, but the positioning of images is all out of wack now. When someone sends an image, it seems to show up way closer to their username than it used to and that is distracting to me.
- Another super minor thing I haven't seen anyone else comment on- is the lowest message on the screen closer to the text bar for everyone or is this just something else I'm noticing? I always feel the urge to scroll down, because it's just a lot closer than it used to be, and this only makes the UI changes more distracting. (And yes, I'm using light theme- I use it with dark sidebar. It helps me focus on individual messages more because there's contrast on the screen- or at least there USED TO BE until message dividers were removed, and now I can't focus on anything at all.)
- The "NEW!" bar. Just... why? I think the old bar that showed up when you got new messages was perfectly fine. What was the reason to change it? (Edit to add: Previously with the "New!" message in the middle of the screen, I didn't have to look far to realize that's what the line was for. I know the red line signifies new messages, but... It really doesn't help having the message itself on the far right side of the screen. Why?)
Listen. I am not expecting you to undo all of the changes that were just made. All I'm asking is for you to please give me the option in the Appearances menu to undo these changes myself. At the absolute minimum, PLEASE add the ability to add message dividers back.
And for the record, not every part of this update is a mistake. I'm a huge fan of the ability to see individual message timestamps for messages that didn't have them on their own when you hover over them- I would just prefer to be able to do so without the emoji reaction bar and the highlight.
EDIT: I'm going to add my thoughts on new things as I notice them.
- When you @ mention someone, the bar that shows up encompasses both the line containing the person's username and the line containing the message. This is another change I don't mind very much, and I actually think this makes it more clear to see where you've been mentioned.
- When you start a new channel, the messages show up at the bottom instead of at the top. Just... why? That's my biggest question in regards to this update.
- Messages are farther apart now. I thought at first this was due to me changing the "Space Between Message Groups" option in the Appearances menu, but I'm 99% sure it's at the default setting and nothing's changed back.
- The way blocked messages show up has changed, and I actually like this SO MUCH BETTER than it was before. It's much less obtrusive- as it should be when I'm trying to ignore someone. You can also have multiple blocked messages shown at a time, though I didn't demonstrate that in this picture.
Please sign in to leave a comment.