The issue in point form:
- Running Manjaro Linux - Discord installed via Pacman
- Discord refuses to open due to 0.0.10 being available
- Pacman says 0.0.9-5 is the latest
- Many Linux users prefer to use package managers over manually installing
Discord should not be forcing users to update to the latest version immediately after each release. Even for a hotfix, it's unreasonable to assume that everyone will have instant access to the latest version.
There are a number of reasons why updating might not be possible right away, including:
- Community-driven package managers can be slower to catch up
- Corporate device policies may lock down app versions
- Users of mobile tethering and metered connections often prefer to wait until they are on an non-metered connection before downloading updates
I'm all for forcing users to eventually update - but give everyone a reasonable amount of time to do so. I've opened Slack on my old macbook, and had a three month old version still work without a hitch.
tl;dr: Please give users a grace period to install updates.
Please sign in to leave a comment.