Why is a server labeled as NSFW?
Our Community Guidelines require that all adult content posted to Discord be kept behind an NSFW gate. Server owners can designate specific channels as being 18+ by adding an NSFW gate. Entire servers can now be classified as 18+ through the use of an NSFW server designation.
Servers must be classified as NSFW if the community is organized around NSFW themes or if the majority of the server’s content is focused on 18+ content.
I CAN’T VIEW OR JOIN NSFW SERVERS. WHAT DO I DO?
If you are between the ages of 13 and 17, you will not be able to join or view the content in NSFW servers.
For people age 18 and older, NSFW servers can only be joined on desktop or Android devices. Those with iOS devices are required to "opt-in on desktop" in order to view NSFW servers from their iOS device.
How to opt in for iOS:
- Sign in to Discord on desktop and navigate to your User Settings. You can find your User Settings by clicking the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the app.
- In the User Settings menu, click on Privacy & Safety.
- Find “Allow access to NSFW content on iOS” and click the toggle. This will let you view NSFW servers you are already a member of from your iOS device.
Additionally, a subset of NSFW servers that are specifically focused on explicit pornographic content will be blocked entirely on iOS.
- iOS users aged 18+ will only be able to join and access these dedicated pornography servers on the desktop and web versions of Discord.
Note: Only NSFW server owners and moderators will be allowed to view and manage this specific subset of NSFW servers on iOS.
How Do I Update my Age Information?
If you are over the age of 18 and have been locked out of an NSFW server, you can appeal by following the instructions below:
Take a photo of yourself holding the following items. Your face and all of the required information needs to be visible and readable in ONE photo.
- A photo ID that contains your date of birth, clearly readable
- A piece of paper that shows your full Discord Tag (including your username and the last 4 digits following your username - ex: Wumpus#1234)
Once you have taken the photo, submit a request to the Trust & Safety team here: https://dis.gd/request and select "Appeals, age update, other questions" under the Report Type option.
Be sure to use the email address associated with your Discord account. Our Trust & Safety team needs to receive the request directly from the email address associated with the Discord account to protect our users' privacy and security.
If the Discord account was not claimed and verified with an email address, our team is unfortunately unable to provide further support.