Hopefully a weekend of continued feedback will help you to rethink your design choices in the latest version. Here's some more of that.
First, a design idea you were right on, but failed in the execution:
- Attempting to streamline switching between direct messages and regular chat is a good idea, and something that needs fixing. However, shoehorning an entire new UI bar for that one feature is not a good design choice.
How can that be better? The two requirements for switching need to be:
- Switch to DMs without scrolling up server liset
- Switch back to the same server/channel after DMs
My recommendation is to pin the DM icon at the top of the server list so it stays no matter how far you scroll, and opening it opens a new overlay that can be backed out of and back to the servers in the same location.
Specific feedback on the new Android UI:
- The core of Discord is the messages, so it makes more sense that it is in the "background" of all other choices. Having the messages act like they're sliding around is jarring and not a good design choice.
- The preview of messages on the right part of the screen, which amounts to just avatars, is pointless.
- The new "tab" buttons at the bottom are not useful and waste space. The only button there that is useful is the DM button. The rest were fine being in submenus.
- The animations are slow on older phones likely because of inefficient animations. The old layout never had this problem.
- Scrolling vertically in a text channel has the tendency to be counted a horizontal swipe and loads the menus.
- Changing the back button behavior to go "back" to the server list was not an improvement.
Bad changes from the last few versions:
- The text box should never resize horizontally (especially on the left side) while typing, especially as a direct result of typing.
- Wasted space on the left by more than one attachment button when the old + was sufficient.
- Not displaying the text of a message in the press and hold menu is a bad change.
- The rounding on the corners of images is too high
In summary, I urge you to roll back these UI changes ASAP.
U moet u aanmelden om een opmerking te plaatsen.