What does this article cover?
- What is Server Home?
- Where can I find Server Home?
- How does content appear in Server Home?
- Can you curate content?
- How do I join the beta or leave feedback?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Server Home?
We know that keeping up in a community can be difficult and overwhelming at times. Server Home is a new space at the top of a channel list where members can see a digest of interesting moments happening in the community.
Where can I find Server Home?
Server Home is located at the top of the channel list.
Note: Currently it will not appear for members who can see fewer than 5 channels.
How does content appear in Server Home?
There are two main sections for Server Home:
- This section is a selection of top messages ranked by recency and community engagement allowing you to quickly catch up on recent activity in the server.
- This section will only show content in channels you have access to.
Note: if a member has muted a channel they will not see any content in Home from that channel.
2. Active Now:
- This section shows content happening right now that you can actively jump in and participate with. Similar to Highlights, this will only show channels that you have access to.
By default, visiting a server will land on Home. However, if you have been to the server within 20 hours, you will continue to be taken to your last visited channel instead. This ensures Home doesn’t get in the way of anyone who’s in the middle of conversations.
Can you curate content?
Yes! Currently, only people with the
Manage Messages permission can curate content in 3 ways:
1. Featuring messages: You can feature a message at the top of Home for a period of time for any member who hasn’t seen it yet. This message is not pinned so once a member goes to Home and sees the message it will no longer be featured at the top. Great for highlighting cool contributions or conversations from your members, events, questions of the day, etc. You can do this by opening the message context menu by right-clicking and selecting “Feature Message”
- Note: Currently you can only feature messages for either 24 hours, 3 days, or 7 days
2. Removing messages: If you see something you don’t want to be visible in Home, you can remove it from Home for everyone. You can do this by opening the context menu on the message in Home and selecting “Remove from Home Screen.” This will not delete the message in the channel where it is posted.
3. Blocking channels from Home: If you have a channel that you would prefer never populate Home, you can prevent its content from ever appearing. To do this, there’s a new toggle in the channel settings called “Remove Channel from Home”
How do I join the beta or leave feedback?
- For now, this feature is an experiment available to a select number of communities. Eventually, Home will be a part of every Community-enabled server.
- If your community has Home and you want to leave feedback, you can find a survey in the Home settings context menu!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I change the location of Home?
A: Currently you cannot move Home. However, if you have feedback on how this placement affects your community, please fill out the survey in the Home settings context menu!
Q: I don’t see Home in my Server. Why?
A: Right now it’s only available to a select number users of specific communities so it may not be available for you just yet. Additionally, if you don’t have access to at least 6 channels in the server, Home will not show.
Q: What if I don’t want my content to appear in Home?
A: There’s currently no option to opt out of your content appearing in Home. However, only people who already have access to the channels you post your content in will be able to see your content Home. So if you post in a private channel only the members with access to that private channel would be able to see that content on Home.
Q: Can people outside of my server see the Home section?
A: No, just like other channels only people with access to your community can see the Home section. Additionally, only members who have been granted access to at least five channels in the server will see content from Home.
Q: Why are messages disappearing from my Home tab?
A: Messages you've read get sorted to the bottom, while highlights you haven’t read yet will be prioritized at the top.