Server Templates will let you clone existing categories, channels, roles, and permissions to help you create a new server easily!
What this article covers:
- Creating a Server Template
- Using Server Templates
Creating a Server Template
Note: This feature is currently only available on the desktop and browser app. If you’re on the mobile app, you sadly won’t be able to create a new Server Template at this point in time.
1. To create a Server Template, you will need to be the owner of the server or have a role with the Manage Server permission enabled:
2. If you meet either requirements, navigate to Server Settings by selecting the dropdown menu next to the server name or by right-clicking the server name itself:
3. Within Server Settings, select the Server Templates tab:
4. After being redirected to Server Templates, you can give your template a name and short description. After you fill out the template title and description, press Generate Template to create a template link.
6. Once you’ve generated a link, simply select Copy and you are ready to share your Server Template!
Sync Server Templates
Server Templates do not automatically update when you make changes to the original server's set-up. That means if the Server Template isn't synced, you won't see the new changes when using the template!
However, a notification will pop up by your server’s name when you make changes to your server:
In order to sync your Server Template, go to Server Settings > Server Templates > and press the Sync Template button to update the template!
Deleting Server Templates
Server Template links can also be deleted by going to server settings > Server Templates > Delete Template
Server Template Creation Errors
If you run a large server or a server that uses a large number of Role Permissions overwrites, you may run into the “Maximum number of channel permission overwrites reached (1000)” error.
This indicates that you have added over 1,000 Role Permissions overwrites - these are permissions that are added per-channel, rather than within your Server Settings.
If you run into this error, you’ll need to reduce the number of Role Permissions overwrites in your Server before you are able to create a Server Template.
Note: This limit does apply retroactively, so we recommend keeping tabs on the number of permission overwrites you are adding to your server to ensure that your friends are able to use your Server Template as well.
Using Server Templates
Server Templates must be generated by a user who has the Manage Server permission. Once a Server Template has been generated, you can share it in chat and it will look like the image below:
Before you create a Server using a Server Template, you can preview the template!
If you’re satisfied with the preview of the server template, you can rename the server and upload a new server image from the preview window.
Once you select Create, brand new servers can be created with all the preset channels, roles, and permissions using the server template.