If you are new to Discord and would like to create an account via your mobile device, this guide will help walk you through the steps.
What Does This Article Cover?
- Creating an Account
- Setting up an Account
- Adding Friends
- Joining Servers
- Creating DMs and Group DMs
- Expressing Yourself
Creating an Account
1. If you’d like to create a Discord account and start using the app, you can download Discord via your mobile device:
- For Android devices, head into the Play Store
- For iOS, head into the App Store
2. Once the app is fully installed, tap on the app icon to launch the app.
3. If this is your first time using Discord, press Register to create your account. You’ll need to enter:
- a username
- your email address or phone number
- a password
4. Once you’ve finished entering this account information, you can then select “Create an account” to start using Discord.
Remember to head into your email to verify your email address. By verifying your email address, you’ll be able to recover your account if you ever forget your password.
Setting up an Account
To set up your account, tap on your profile icon in the bottom right hand corner. This will take you to your User Settings where you can select various options to personalize your account.
Changing Your Avatar
1. If you’d like to change your avatar, you can tap on the photo icon to change your profile picture.
2. After you’ve selected your desired photo, you can adjust the image by zooming in or out of the photo. Then, select the Choose option in the bottom right to reflect the changes.
3. The image preview will now be reflected in your profile. If it’s to your liking, pressing Save in the upper right corner will save your changes.
Along with customizing your avatar, Nitro users can also add an animated avatar. If you’d like to learn more about animated avatars, you can check out this article.
Changing Your Account Details
As you continue exploring Discord, you may wish to change your username or even your email address associated with your account.
1. If you would like to change your account details, press the Account tab.
2. Once redirected to Account, you will see that you can select various options. To edit a specific account detail, tap the specific option.
3. Before the changes are solidified, you will be asked to verify your password to confirm the changes. Then, you should be all set!
Additionally, if you ever need to change your password, you’ll be able to press “Password” in the Account settings!
You can only change your username and avatar two times in an hour! So if you’ve reached the limit for the hour, you’ll need to wait before changing your name again!
Now that you’ve officially created an account, you can directly add friends or receive friend requests from people that you already know on Discord!
Sending Friend Requests
1. To send a friend request, be sure to select the Direct Messages icon in the upper left corner as an initial step.
2. Once you have been redirected to Direct Messages, tap the Add Friends button.
3. To add your friend, you’ll need to type in both the username and the 4-digit-discriminator of your friend! (An example of a full Discord tag would be: Wumpus#0000)
4. Once you’ve typed in your friend’s Discord tag and press Send Friend Request, a request will be directly sent!
If you're not able to send a request, it's possible that your friend needs to change their Privacy and Safety Settings for who can add them as a Friend. Check out the Friend Request section in our article on Privacy Settings for more details.
If you’d like to view your previously added friends, you can tap on the Friends tab located on the bottom row.
Make sure that you’re typing your friend’s username exactly as spelled and double check capitalization since usernames are case sensitive. Additionally, make sure to remove any extra spaces.
Adding a Friend in a Server
1. If you’re already in a server, and you’d like to add someone you’ve become friends with, you can also tap on that person’s username in the server list or press on the user’s avatar in chat to open their User Profile.
2. Once you’ve opened their profile, you’ll be able to select the Add Friend option to send a Friend Request.
Accepting Friend Requests
If you’ve received a Friend Request, you’ll see a red notification on your Notifications tab.
1. Press the bell icon located in the bottom row to be redirected to the Notifications tab.
2. Then, you can check your pending friend requests by tapping on the Friend Requests icon in the upper right corner.
3. Once you’ve been redirected to the Friend Request tab, you can view and choose to accept or decline pending requests.
To check if you are adding the correct friend, tap on the requester’s icon to view the requester’s User Profile.
You can either press directly on an invite link from your friend to automatically join the server, or you can manually enter an invite link through the Join Server menu.
|Joining a Server Directly||Manually Entering a Server Invite Link|
1. To manually enter an invite link that you’ve received, start by tapping the green plus sign button in the left side bar.
2. You’ll then see the option to create or join a server. Select the Join a Server button and then manually input the invite link or the last string of the link that you’ve received.
3. Once you fill out the appropriate invite link, you can tap the Join Server button.
4. Afterwards, you will need to accept the invitation to confirm that you’re joining the correct server.
Creating DMs and Group DMs
If you’d like to have a smaller group chat outside of the server you can create a group chat.
1. To start, press the New Message icon in the upper right corner.
2. Then, you’ll be able to select your friends you’d like to add into the group direct message.
You can select up to 10 friends to join within a group direct message.
3. Once you’ve selected the friends you’d like to add, tap the Start button in the upper right corner. This will redirect you to the new group message you have just created.
Now that you’re connected with your friends in servers and DMs, you can now start chatting away through text, emojis, photos and more!
Sending Photos and Files
Want to stay in chat and directly send a photo without opening your camera app?
1. You can send a photo on the fly to your friends by tapping the Add File icon in the bottom left corner.
2. This will let you view your photos within your photo gallery or select the Camera button.
3. If you would like to directly take a photo, select the Camera button to open the Camera app within Discord. Then, you will be able to take a photo.
4. Once you have taken or chosen the photo, you will be able to send a message along with the photo to your friends.
You’ll also be able to send gifs directly into chat by using the GIF Picker!
1. To send a gif, tap the emoji icon located to the right of the message bar. This icon resembles a smiley face.
2. Once you have tapped the emoji icon, the Emoji, GIFs, and Stickers selection menu will appear.
3. Select the GIFs tab to view and choose various gifs to send to your friends. If you’d like to search for a specific gif, you can type within the Search Tenor bar to populate more choices.
You can directly send emojis through chat by pressing on that Emoji icon in the message bar!
You’ll be able to see your most frequently used emojis, or directly search for the exact emoji you’re looking for in the emoji search bar!
Not only are you able to send emojis within messages, but you can also choose an emoji to react to posted messages.
1. To add a reaction on the mobile app, long press the message you’d like to react to. This will allow a new menu to appear.
2. From this menu, you can choose one of your frequently used emojis as a reaction, or you can directly search for a specific emoji to use as a reaction by pressing on the Reactions icon.
3. If another person has already reacted to the message, you can tap on their reaction to add to the reaction counter or you press on the emoji icon to select another emoji you’d like to add.
And you've made it!
Hopefully this guide helped you to understand the basics of getting started on Discord mobile! For other useful guides to learn more about Discord, check out these articles below.
If you run into any issues or have any questions, feel free to contact our support team here.