I've grown to really love Discord and the wonderful opportunities it's given me to meet people, and the recent global situation gave me a few ideas of what would really grow Discord and improve the platform vastly. It's well known that the COVID-19 outbreak has pushed people to go online more, and most importantly members of education such as teachers and students. Many members of these communities still resort to using platforms such as Facebook (which are nowhere near Discord's awesomeness!), and in thinking how to build a collaborative network of students who help each other on Discord, I realized how limited it is in this avenue.
Below are my recommendations, and please keep in mind that most of these suggestions would be for server owners and admins ONLY, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to have access to these features on a server.
- [Text Formatting Display] When highlighting a block of text, the formatting options that come up should display (could be optional) all the formatting options, such as underlining and creating code blocks.
- [Hyperlinks] Hyperlinks would be a huge improvement to servers of all kinds. Having those big ugly links in the server info section when server owners are trying to keep it clean is never fun, and it would be wonderful if we could have the option to embed links into text. However, I understand that this feature would pose a significant security risk where people could abuse this, so an implementation of this kind should only be limited to server admins to avoid abuse.
- [Header and Title Text] Too many servers need to get creative by adding images to have big text in their server info, which also isn't nice. It would be extremely convenient for both new and old server owners to have the option to create header and title text, which would be the same font but 100% and 200% bigger respectively. Take a look at this:
- [Justify Text] One last text formatting addition that would really complete Discord's current text formatting would be to implement a justify text feature. Nothing is more beautiful than a perfectly square block of text!
- [High Character-Limit Channels] I'm sure there's plenty of back-end stuff that prevents Discord from allowing messages larger than 2000 characters, but this limit should be increased to something like 10,000 characters for very specific cases. The idea here is that upon creating a channel, have an option that sets the channel as an information channel only, so that server owners and admins can write whatever they wish to within these channels. This could be limited to 1 channel per server, and increasing by 2 or 3 with each server boost level, for example. More rewards for boosting, the better! This would also allow course instructors to display more information at once, and in a neater fashion without breaking everything up into multiple messages.
- [Tables] When needing to display lots of repetitive information though, which is quite common in educational courses, tables are an incredibly handy thing. If discord were to allow creating tables (let's say a max of 10 wide and 50 tall, for example), information could be displayed so much better.
- [Within Message Scrolling] The idea here would be to have a message that looks similar to a code block message, but within it would be normal looking text and it would only display a limited number of lines of text with a scroll bar. This is for those messages that tend to get really long, but when server owners don't want to take up all the vertical space in a message. Perhaps while formatting this, it could be a formatted like this: [[3 n/ (text here)]], where the 3 would be the number of lines the author of the message wants visible
- [Calendars] If instructors are to use Discord for any courses, they of course need calendars! This wouldn't only be for course instructors, but all other server owners would be able to use this to display important upcoming events on their servers!
- [Information Channels] For those information channels server owners want to keep really neat and tidy, it would be ideal if we had an option to hide the author of all new posts (given the author is the same). When writing messages (in cozy mode), messages sent within a short time of each other don't show the user name and icon-- we should have the option to disable the user name and icon appearing after the first message in an unbroken chain of messages, regardless the time between them.
- [File Previews] The final change is another education oriented feature request, and this would be specifically for when course instructors upload word files, pdfs, and power points. The idea here would be to add a very basic preview right below the file attachment, and this could be just an image snapshot of the first page or something of that sort.
Thank you for reading my suggestions. I'd really hope that some of these can be implemented so I could immediately use them to make more awesome servers!
Yorum yazmak için lütfen oturum açın.