I help manage a few large discord servers, and scam bot raids are almost a daily occurrence. In one server, we have banned over 30,000 bots in the last 3 months, and it is exhausting.
We have tried various bots, and some work fairly well for the most part. But it can still take hours to clean up a large bot raids.
I'm not a developer, so I won't pretend to claim what is, and what is not possible in regards to discords API. But what I do know, is that it is too easy for scammers to create thousands of bot accounts. Discord needs to address this issue as soon as possible.
Another issue is scammers ability to bypass hidden channel restrictions and view the user list regardless of roles, effectively making verification channels redundant.
Moderator tools that would be useful: (I'm unsure of what is, and isn't possible, so I'm just going to list off ideas)
- Role/permission limiting the ability to send DMs to other server members.. (I know users can turn off the ability to receive DM's, but these settings aren't obvious, and I'd rather have the ability to protect my community from non verified users)
- Instant pruning of users without a single role. - Additional power to prune & ban.
- Invite links with a time buffer. e.g this invite link can only be used once per minute.
- Automated Smart Bans - One thing with scam raids, is users typically all have a similar unique ID e.g They all start with 988xxxxxxxxxxx - If Automated mod tool detects 10 or more accounts joining with 988xxx in a row, it instantly bans those accounts.
- Better join logs & tooling, I want a mod panel that is ordered with timestamps, users ID's, and shows users who have joined over the last week. I want to be able to easily select 100, or 1000 users from that list, and have a button to kick or ban them - Maybe "Select all" between 5am and 6am > Ban.
- Expand Automod to prevent certain usernames from joining the server/or instantly ban upon joining. E.g usernames containing the word "Support" "Admin" or "Discord Giveaway"