Voice Messages will be rolling out to servers with more than 200 members soon!
Need to send a quick message to all of your friends but can't type because you're on the go? Or do you want to make sure your joke lands by adding comedic timing? Well, you're in luck - You can now send Voice Messages on Discord!
What this article covers:
- What are Voice Messages?
- How do I use Voice Messages?
- How to Disable Voice Messages in your server
- Frequently Asked Questions
What are Voice Messages?
Voice Messages give you the ability to send an audio recording directly to your friends. For now, you can only send Voice Messages through a direct message, group direct message, or in a server with fewer than 200 members. These can be listened to on any device where you can access Discord, but can only be sent through the mobile app.
How do I use Voice Messages?
Sending Voice Messages
There are 2 ways to record and send a Voice Message. After navigating to the DM or server where you want to send a Voice Message, you’ll want to try one of the following:
1. Press and hold on the Mic button located on the right of the chat input box until you are done recording your message. Once completed, release the button to send the message.
2. While pressing and holding down the Mic button swipe up to lock the recording mode in place. Once you’re done recording, tap on send.
Canceling Voice Messages
There are two ways to cancel sending a Voice Message that you recorded.
1. While pressing and holding the Mic button down while recording, drag your finger to the Trash icon on the left side and then release.
2. After swiping up to lock recording mode in place, in order to cancel the recording, just tap the Trash icon on the left side.
Listening to Voice Messages
You can listen to Voice Messages on either desktop or mobile devices. To listen, simply click the “Play” button on any Voice Message for it to play. The audio will play through your default device.
If you’re on mobile and you do not have an external audio device connected, the audio will play through your mobile speakers.
How to Disable Voice Messages in your server
If Voice Messages are available in your server, you can disable or enable them per role. To do so, go to Server Settings > Roles and navigate to the Send Voice Messages toggle to enable or disable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the maximum length of a Voice Message?
A: Voice Messages can be up to 20 minutes long.
Q: Can I upload my own audio files and get them to look like Voice Messages and play inline in chat?
Q: Can I send voice messages on Discord Web or the Discord Desktop app?
A: No, you can only send voice messages from the mobile app, but you can listen to them on any Discord platform.
Q: Can I change the audio output the Voice Message plays on?
A: On Desktop, Voice Messages will use the default audio output for Discord. On mobile, they will play through your connected device, if you do not have one connected they will play through your mobile speakers.
Q: How can I report a Voice Message?
A: To report on Desktop right click the voice message and select Report Message. To report on mobile, tap and hold on the message until you see a pop-up that says Report Message.