While using Discord, you might have encountered a “Verification Required” message, which is one of our safety efforts for our platform. We want users to feel secure using Discord, and we invest in features that help protect you from scams or abuse. Requiring that you verify your email address or phone number helps prove you are not a robot and helps keep spammers out.
What this article covers:
- Why do I need to verify my account?
- How to verify your account
- How does Discord use my phone number?
- Still need help?
Why do I need to verify my account?
The “Verification Required” message is part of our verification system to help protect both you and the communities on Discord. This means sometimes our systems detect activity that calls for extra information. This verification not only serves to help confirm to Discord that you are more likely to not be spam but also provides additional barriers of defense against malicious activity on your account.
So you might see this message because you want to join a server that requires its members to have verified accounts. Some other reasons might be that you:
- joined multiple servers in a short period of time
- direct messaged multiple users who are not your friends
- sent messages or posted content to communities faster than a human can manage
- used third party clients or modifications to Discord
We have seen how these kinds of activities are a signal of harmful behavior that can harm Discord users or communities.
How to verify your account
If you’re looking to verify the email address associated with your Discord account but can’t find the original verification email, you can check out this article.
We may require you to verify your account using a valid phone number. The phone number you use cannot be associated with an existing Discord account. We also don’t accept every type of phone number, so please make sure to check this article to avoid providing an invalid phone number.
The process will look a little something like this:
1. Press on the Start Verification button.
Left: Mobile client, Right: Desktop/Browser client
2. Here is where you will need to provide a valid mobile phone number. Remember that it cannot be attached to an existing Discord account and must meet our other requirements. If you get an Invalid Phone Number error message, be sure to check this article to avoid that error.
Left: Mobile, Right: Desktop/Browser
3. Wait for the SMS to be sent to your mobile phone and follow the instructions to input the verification code.
How does Discord use my phone number?
Discord uses your phone number for safety and security purposes. Discord also supports opt-in features like Find Your Friends, which allows you to discover friends on Discord using your phone contacts!
Still need help?
If you have additional questions about the “Verification Required” message or issues verifying your account, you can submit a ticket to our Support team here: https://dis.gd/contact