I am fully aware that this has been posted on three seperate occasions, however no action has been taken.
AV1 video codec has seen strong adoption from browser, website, hardware side as well as being royalty free. What that means is anyone can use it for free. Here is a list I and others have compiled with reasons for adopting AV1:
1. Highly efficient video compression would help Discord save on bandwidth (over 50% more efficient than h.264)
- Higher efficiency means higher quality for the same file size
- Adoption for this codec is going strong, all major browsers support it
- Webm video file container supports it, so it can be played inside discord
- All major internet players are behind it (Google, Netflix, Amazon, Intel, Nvidia, Tencent) http://aomedia.org/membership/members/
- It is literally free, so no licensing fees would be required to be paid.
- Hardware support is ramping up, all upcoming GPU's will feature hardware based decoding.
Another point must be mentioned, and that is AVIF image format that AV1 keyframes are based off. It is many times more efficient than JPEG and offers same pros mentioned above. We strongly encourage for its adoption.
Please sign in to leave a comment.