- Effective: 12/01/2022
- Last Updated: 08/31/2023
Discord believes in giving users the ability to support themselves and their communities through monetization. To monetize servers and content on Discord via our Server Subscriptions, Server Shop, and other Creator Revenue products, creators and their servers must abide by the requirements and restrictions outlined below.
This Discord Server Monetization Policy is incorporated into the Discord Monetization Terms and you agree that it applies to your use of Server Subscription and Creator Revenue products and services. Capitalized terms not otherwise defined herein have the meaning assigned to them in the Monetization Terms. For clarity, the term “including” as used herein means “including without limitation”. Additionally, examples provided herein are for convenience, and should not be construed to limit the applicability of this Policy.
Please check back here regularly as we may update these policies from time to time and your continued use of Server Subscriptions and Creator Revenue products and services after such updates go into effect means you accept and agree to those updates. Additional terms and policies apply to your use of Server Subscriptions products and services, including our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.
Your account must meet the following requirements
We look at a number of safety and security signals to determine eligibility. This is not an exhaustive list, but examples that we offer for transparency and ease of understanding:
- You must be 18 years or older.
- Your account must be in good standing. Good standing includes but is not limited to:
- You are not actively violating any of Discord’s Terms or Guidelines.
- Your account has not received a safety violation in the past 30 days.
- Your account has not been flagged for suspicious activity usually reserved for safety, abuse, and fraud cases.
- No outstanding dues or unpaid charges owed to Discord.
- You must have your email verified.
- You must have Two-Factor Authentication enabled. Please note, you cannot remove 2FA when you have published server subscription tiers in your servers.
You may not monetize content or a community associated with any of the following
- Intellectual property of other creators and rights holders without written permission.
- Impersonation, unless it is clearly labeled as parody or satire.
- Labels of parody or satire must be clearly visible to users and to Discord at all times whether in a server name or description.
- Sexually explicit content, whether hosted on Discord or linked from other services.
- Content may not contain nudity, explicit sexual acts, or content created for the purpose of sexual gratification or arousal. Exceptions for non-sexual nudity may be made for context that is educational, artistic, or newsworthy at Discord’s sole discretion.
- Facilitation, solicitation of, or participation in online dating.
- Political candidates, campaign teams, political parties, elected or appointed government officials, and/or partisan political activity.
- Exploitation of tragedy, hardship, or turmoil. This includes, for example, participating in financially manipulative behavior such as price gouging and inducing artificial scarcity of necessities.
- Monetization where the stated purpose of monetization is to support a charitable endeavor.
- Promotion of pharmaceutical goods, drugs, and unsafe health practices. This includes, for example, claims of medicinal benefit from supplements that have not been approved by the FDA or similar regulatory body.
- Promotion or solicitation of endangering behaviors or activities to yourself, others, or animals.
- Primary purpose of marketing, advertising, or promotional benefit of a third party, such as third party servers, applications, businesses, or services.
- Facilitation of gambling or gambling-adjacent activities such as simulated casinos and their games.
- Distribution, manufacturing, sale, or promotion of sales of lethal weapons or explosives and their regulated accessories.
- Deceptive, misleading, or manipulative financial practices such as multi-level marketing schemes, financial scams, fraudulent behavior.
Your server should be an authentic, healthy community in good standing
- The majority of your server’s membership and activity is not composed of bots or inactive accounts.
- Your server must not have had a server ownership transfer in the last 30 days without Discord’s approval. All monetized server transfers will go through a Safety review.
- Your server must not be bought or sold without Discord’s approval.
- Your server must be in good standing. Good standing includes but is not limited to:
- Your server has not received a safety violation in the past 30 days.
- Your server has not been flagged for suspicious activity usually reserved for safety, abuse, and fraud cases.
- Servers dedicated to only marketing or advertising activities are ineligible for monetization.
- Servers with a significant presence of sexually explicit content are not eligible for monetization.