This experimental feature is only available to manage and play on desktop to a limited number of communities! For mobile users, they will be able to hear sounds played through Soundboard. Since this is an experiment this feature may evolve and change over time as we learn how our users are interacting with it.
What’s that sound? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s your friend smashing the button with the airhorn sound in the server’s Soundboard! Soundboard is your way to react in a Discord voice channel with brief audio clips. Learn more about how you can use Soundboard below.
What does this article cover?
- What is Soundboard?
- How do I use Soundboard?
- As a Server Admin, how can I manage Soundboard?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Soundboard?
Soundboard is a voice channel feature that allows you to play a short audio clip that can be heard by all participants in the same voice channel. Much like Reactions and Super Reactions, Soundboard is a way for you to express yourself and react to the voice channel’s conversation or Go Live stream.
How do I use Soundboard?
1. Navigate to a server and join your intended voice channel.
2. While in the voice channel, fully pull up the channel so that you can see everyone’s Avatars. If Soundboard is enabled, you should see a music icon on the bottom left. Press on the icon to open up Soundboard. If a user is deafened in the channel, they will not hear the sound play.
3. Another way to access Soundboard when in a voice channel is by pressing the Soundboard icon on the bottom left while connected.
4. With Soundboard open, you can hover over any current available sound and then press Play to play that sound. Pressing Play will play the sound for everyone in the voice channel to hear.
5. If there’s a sound you really like, you can also press on the Star icon to favorite a sound or to preview a sound and only play it for yourself.
How can I upload new sounds to the server’s Soundboard?
To upload new sounds press on the Add Sound button with the Soundboard panel open.
Please keep in mind that it’s your responsibility to ensure that any sounds you upload respect our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines, including ensuring that any sounds you upload respect the intellectual property rights of others.
As a Server Admin, how can I manage Soundboard?
To manage the current Soundboard on your server head to Server Settings > Soundboard and you can edit or remove any current sounds listed.
To remove any of the current uploaded sounds you can do so by pressing the “x” button next to a sound.
Users will only be able to upload custom sounds if they have “Manage Expressions” enabled for their role. To edit a role, head to Server Settings > Roles and then Enable or Disable it per role under "Permissions".
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I change the volume or opt out for Soundboard?
A. To change the volume of hearing Soundboard Sounds, please head to User Settings > Voice & Video > Soundboard > Soundboard Volume to adjust the slider to their preferred volume. This setting will sync across all devices. If set to 0%, you will not hear any sounds.
Q. Can any server’s Soundboard sounds be used in other servers?
A. In order to use Soundboard sounds across servers, you do need to have an active Nitro subscription. You do not need Nitro in order to use the Soundboard within the server itself.