Joining a new server is an exciting experience, but sometimes it can be overwhelming to familiarize yourself with all the different channels and rules. To help new members with their onboarding experience, admins can now add a Server Guide.
What this article covers:
What is a Server Guide?
Server Guide is a dedicated space that new members see after they join. Its purpose is to enable server admins to customize their welcoming experience further by offering an engaging and informative introduction to their community. For existing members, Server Guide can be set up by admins to house Resource Pages.
By using Server Guide, admins can showcase their server's unique features, rules, and channels, ensuring that newcomers feel welcomed and informed from the moment they join. This tailored experience helps new users quickly acclimate to the server.
How to set up Server Guide
Server Guide is a feature within Onboarding, which can be accessed via Server Settings > Onboarding.
Once you’ve completed the Default Channels and Questions portion of Onboarding, you can advance to the Server Guide setup. Here, you can customize a few things:
- Welcome Sign: a space at the top of Server Guide where you can write a custom message from you, the admin.
- New Member To Do’s: 3-5 tasks for your new members that help them get started talking and engaging in your channels.
- Resources: Turn read-only channels into fancy resource pages in your Server Guide. These will no longer appear on the channel list and come with some perks:
- Users are directed to the top of pages instead of the bottom of a message thread
- Message bars and avatars are removed so it looks cleaner
- All the content, embeds, media, and formatting will stay the same
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which servers have access to Server Guide?
A: Server Guide is currently available to all Community servers.
Q: Why is Server Guide only available through Onboarding?
A: Currently, Server Guide has been built as a component within Onboarding. We see Server Guide as one part of creating a more informative, inviting Onboarding experience for new members.
Q: Will all of my new members see Server Guide once I enable it?
A: Once enabled, Server Guide is visible to all members of the server.
Q: How does Server Guide work with the Welcome Screen?
A: When a server enables Server Guide, new members won’t see a Welcome Screen.
Q: How does Server Guide work with Rules Screening?
A: Rules Screening still appears as normal.