What this article covers:
- What is Krisp?
- How Krisp Works on Discord
- How to enable Krisp
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Krisp?
Krisp is a 3rd party machine learning, noise filtration software that runs on your device. Krisp is able to remove background noise much better than traditional solutions, letting you have clear conversations even in busy environments!
Krisp is also a stand-alone app. You can learn more about their company and software specifically on their website here.
How Krisp Works on Discord
We’ve integrated Krisp to improve our voice call experience even further. By enabling Krisp, it uses machine learning to remove background noises that aren’t human voices such as dogs barking, vacuums, or doors slamming while still transmitting your voice.
How to enable Krisp
There are 2 ways to enable Krisp on the desktop app. Let’s go over both!
1. While connected to a Voice Channel, tap on the Noise Suppression icon.
2. Then you can toggle to enable or disable Krisp.
1. Tap on User Settings to the right of your avatar.
2. Then head to Voice & Video.
3. Scroll down until you see Noise Suppression, while here you can select Krisp to enable it.
There are also 2 ways to enable Krisp through the mobile app.
1. While connected to a voice channel, swipe up on your screen to pull up an additional menu.
2. Next, you should see an option that says Noise Suppression tap to the right of it to enable it.
3. After enabling or disabling, swipe back down to close the menu.
1. To enable Krisp, tap on your avatar in the bottom right corner and then tap on the cogwheel in the upper right to open User Settings.
2. Next scroll down to App Settings and tap on Voice.
3. Scroll to Noise Suppression and here you can enable Krisp by tapping on it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much does it cost?
A: Krisp is free when you use it with Discord. If you want to use it outside of Discord in other apps, you can check out their pricing here.
Q: When enabled, am I passing any information to Krisp?
A: We do not pass any information or data to Krisp when you enable the tech on Discord. This means that no voice, user, video or any data is ever sent or shared outside of Discord. The machine learning model runs on your device to cancel out noise - no data is ever sent to Krisp's servers under any circumstances.
Q: Will Krisp filter noises for other people on the call when I have it on?
A: No. Krisp will only filter noises coming from your side. So if your friends do not have it toggled on you may still hear their background noise.
Q: When should I use Krisp?
A: Krisp works best in environments where there is a lot of non-human voice background noise.
Because Krisp works to process out background noises if you are in a quiet environment and have a high-quality mic you may notice a decline in voice quality. If you’re in a quiet environment where you don’t need noise filtration we would encourage you to continue using voice chat without Krisp.
Q: Can I use Krisp on video calls?
A: Yes! Krisp can also be used on audio for video calls as well.
Q: Will Krisp work for Go Live?
A: Yes! Krisp can be used when you are using the voice channel in Go-Live stream.
Q: If I toggle on Krisp in one voice chat will it toggle on in all other voice chats?
A: Yes. Once you enable Krisp, it will be active for any new voice chats until you toggle it back off again.
Q: Why does my Krisp keep automatically turning off?
A: When device CPU usage is really high, Krisp will automatically turn off to preserve voice performance and notify you. We suggest that you lower your CPU usage overall before you re-enable Krisp, otherwise Krisp will continue to automatically turn off.
Q: Does Krisp work in browsers?
A: As of October 30, 2023, Krisp is available on Chrome and Firefox desktop browsers.