What does this article cover?
- What is Server Video?
- How do you join a Server Video chat?
- Server Video Safety
What is Server Video?
Server Video is just a new way to stay connected - all directly within the same server space you would normally hang out together!
You’ll be able to hop directly into a voice channel and start chatting over video together!
While in a server video chat, you could:
- video chat only,
- screenshare only,
- video chat and screenshare at the same time, or
- do neither and just chat on voice and watch others’ videos!
How many people can join in a Server Video call?
Note: We’re temporarily raising the server video chat limit from 10 people at a time to 25 people during these current events.
Currently, a total of 25 people in the server can join the channel to video chat together!
When you activate a video within the server, the channel will automatically put a cap on the number of people who can join until all camera streams stop!
Once the channel is filled with 25 people, everyone else in the server will see an error letting them know that there’s too many people in the channel!
How do you join a video call in a server?
This feature is currently only available on the desktop client! Our team is currently working on building server video for Android and iOS, so stay tuned for now!
What role permissions do you need?
Before even starting on your journey in joining a voice channel, you'll need to make sure you have a role with the Video permission enabled to stream your video!
If you own the server and want to make sure your friends can share their stream too, you'll be able to modify these permissions by clicking into your Server Settings and then heading into the Roles tab!
Once you're there, you can scroll down to the Voice Permission section and modify the specific permission for each role you'd like!
Note: If you're the server owner, you'll be able to skip this step since you already have all permissions for your own server!
Step 1: Join a Voice Channel!
Once you've confirmed permissions, to join an ongoing video call, the first step is to click a voice channel in your server!
Once you click into the channel, you’ll be able to watch the ongoing chat in a small window in the corner of your desktop app.
Note: At this point, your video isn’t shared with everyone else in the channel, but you’ll be able to join in the chat with your voice!
Step 2: Share your video!
To share your video with the rest of your friends, just press the Video button in the bottom left corner (within the Voice and Video Panel) or the Turn on Camera button within the video call window.
Step 3: Change up your view/window!
Once you’re in the call, you can switch between different types of view modes and window modes to optimize your viewing experience!
Grid View -
- All server video calls will start in this view! This is the perfect view to see all the videos within your video chat at once!
Focus View -
- If you’d like to focus on one specific person, you can then use this view to make their screen the center of attention! The focused screen will show as the largest screen while everyone else’s screen will show up on a smaller screens on the right side.
- Want to make that focused view even larger?
- You can also hide the streams of the other Server Video Members (by pressing on the Hide Members button within the focused stream) while in the Focus View to only show the main screen you’re focusing on! That way, you won’t get distracted by anyone else’s screen!
- Want to change which screen you want to focus on?
- To switch which screen you’d like to focus on, you can press the Show Members to show all the smaller streams once more and then click directly on the other person’s screen!
Pop Out View -
- To have the video chat all appear in a separate window, press the Pop Out View button to be able to move that window anywhere on your screen!
- If you want to pin the Pop Out window so that it stays above all other windows, you can use the Stay On Top button. To unpin the window, use the Remove from Top button.
Full Screen View -
- Last but not least, press that Full Screen button if you want to maximize the video size on your screen!
Stream Modes - Video and Screenshare
Additionally, since we're right within the server, you'll also be able to simultaneously video chat AND Go Live and share your screen all at the same time!
Just follow these steps below:
- Press the Go Live streaming icon in the voice status panel (near the bottom left corner) and a new window will pop out
- Select an individual application window to share, or select an entire screen to share
- Press the "Go Live" button at the bottom of the window when you are ready to share your stream
- Multiple people can stream their screen and Go Live at the same time on the video call.
- However, you can only watch ONE screen share at a time! As you watch one screen share stream, all other screen share streams will stop moving!
Server Video Safety Best Practices
Discord values every user’s privacy and safety, and we want to make sure that everyone is aware of how they can keep their server space safe and secure!
- Step 1: Check your Roles and Permissions!
- As an initial step, we recommend that you always make sure to double-check your roles and permissions so you control who has access!
- To maximize security, you can set up permissions so that the @everyone role is set to have no permissions in the server! With this setup, if anyone unwanted or hostile were to join the server, they would not be able to view, participate or interact with the server in any way, shape or form, until an admin assigned a role to that person.
- Step 2: Set your Verification Level to the Highest Possible Level!
- By setting your Verification level to the max, this will only allow users to have a verified phone number attached to their Discord account.
- This will add a blocker to anyone hostile trying to join in the server!
For more tips on tools to protect your server, check out these links below: