Chances are you’ve set up invite links to help people easily find and join your Community. But what if you wanted to pause the usage of your invite links, embeds, and vanity URLs without revoking them?
Now you can with Pause Invites!
What does this article cover?
How to pause invites
1. Those with Manage Server permissions can head over to Server Settings > Invites
2. Press the Pause Invites button.
Now that your invite links are paused, users will no longer be able to join your Community until you re-enable invites. Rest assured your existing invite links, embeds, and vanity URLs will still be visible.
3. While your invites are paused, users who press on an invite link will be notified that invites are paused for your Community and will be unable to join:
4. To re-enable invites so that users can join your Community again, navigate back to Server Settings > Invites and press Enable Invites. Users who now press on your invite link will be able to successfully join your Community.
Why should I pause invites to my server?
- Your Community is being raided, which is when a large number of users or accounts join your Community with the express intention of causing disruption and issues. New accounts (good and bad users alike) may be joining via any of your existing invite links. You can pause invites to prevent new accounts from joining and focus on de-escalating.
- Pause invitations indefinitely so you don’t have to revoke your existing invite links and/or vanity URL just to set up new ones later.
- Let users trying to join your Community know your Community is in a paused state instead of confusing them with invalid or expired invite links.
- Manage the growth of your Community - sometimes you just want to go into maintenance mode to freshen up your Community for new members without revoking your existing invite links.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who can pause invites in my Community?
A: Only those with Manage Server permissions can pause invites.
Q: Which devices can I pause invites on?
A: You can currently pause invites on desktop devices. We are working on mobile support.
Q: Will users who tried to join my Community while invitations were paused be notified when I re-enable my invite links?
A: No, users are not notified when your invite links are re-enabled.
Q: How will pausing invites affect people trying to join through Server Discovery?
A: Pausing invites also prevents people from joining through Server Discovery.
Q: Will my links change or look different to users when I pause them?
A: No, pausing invites does not change your links or vanity URL.
Q: Can I set up AutoMod to automatically pause invites?
A: At this time, AutoMod cannot be configured to pause invites.