Joining a community server can be extremely overwhelming and confusing. It's common to have to go through a series of convoluted steps that take you from channels to channels before you can participate in the server. 😵 It should not be this hard. Introducing Rules Screening!
Note: In order to see this feature, you must enable Community for your Discord server
What does this article cover?
- What is Rules Screening?
- Admin Settings
- User Rules Screening (Auto)
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rules Screening?
Rules screening allows you to set up rules that new members must explicitly agree to before they can talk, react, or DM Other members.
Note: Granting a role to a new member will bypass this requirement.
Server Admins can customize their rules and review applications by heading over to Server Settings, and then head to the Membership Screening tab in the left side bar!
Once you arrive at the Membership Screening tab, you can enable this feature by pressing Set Up Membership Screening.
Press Get Started to begin setting up Server Rules, and then add your server rules and press Save when complete!
- We know communities often need more sophisticated screening methods like custom response/manual application, oAuth, and third party connections.
- We are hard at work building these features so that we can release them to you soon as well! We sadly don't have an exact ETA when these features will be released, but stay tuned for more details soon!
User Rules Screening (Auto)
As a user, when you join a server with Rules Screening (Auto) enabled, you will see a bar at the bottom that asks you to complete a few more steps before you can talk.
Before you can participate in the server, you will need to read and agree to the Server Rules.
Once you agree to the rules, press submit and you will have access to the server!
Note: Before proceeding further -
- If you have a bot role gate currently enabled, make sure you re-enable perms on @everyone when you enact Rules Screening to ensure it works properly.
- We've ensured that pending members are not able to talk, dm, or react until they've accepted the rules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I currently use a role gating through a third-party bot to have members agree to rules should I use this instead?
A: While it is not a requirement to switch, we do believe this is a much more frictionless way to encourage new members to agree to rules and seamlessly get them in your community and participating.
Q: I don't currently use role gating on my server. Should I set up rules screening now?
A: If you would like new members to explicitly agree to rules, Rules Screening is an easy way to set it up. However, do note that it will add another step to joining your server which can sometimes lead to a drop off in joiners.
Q: Are there other types of membership screening capabilities?
A: Rules screening is our only current available membership screening capabilities, however, we are actively working on more options that we hope to release soon.
Have feedback or Ideas? Send them over to us here!