Excited to upload your own custom stickers for your server? Here's how to upload and manage custom stickers for your server!
What this article covers:
- Server Boosts and Stickers
- How to Give or Remove Expression Permissions
- Uploading Custom Stickers
- How should I name my stickers?
- Editing and Deleting Uploaded Custom Stickers
Server Boosts and Stickers
As a default, a ll servers have 5 custom stickers slots for free. Your server can upload more custom stickers once the server has reached Boosting Levels 1, 2, or 3! Depending on what Boost level your server has reached will determine how many custom stickers you can upload.
- Default: 5 custom sticker slots
- Level 1: +10 custom sticker slots
- Level 2: +15 custom sticker slots (30 total)
- Level 3: +30 custom sticker slots (60 total)
How to Give or Remove Expression Permissions
Please note: We are currently experimenting with permissions, so the changes to the permissions here are not yet live yet to everyone.
As a server owner, you can manage which members are able to add, remove, or edit Stickers within the server by enabling or disabling expression permissions.
If you would like to allow a role to add custom stickers, you can enable the Create Expressions permission.
If you want certain server admin and members to have the ability to edit and remove custom stickers, they will need to have the Manage Expressions permission enabled.
1. To manage expression permissions, head into your Server Settings by selecting the pull-down menu next to the server name.
2. Once in Server Settings, press the Roles tab and choose the role you would like to manage.
3. While in the Edit Role page, navigate to Permissions.
4. You will now be able to toggle the Create Expressions and Manage Expressions permissions under General Server Permissions.
Note: Managing custom stickers are only available on desktop. If you’re on iOS or Android, you’ll need to use the desktop or web apps to upload, edit, and delete custom stickers
Uploading Custom Stickers
If you’re the server owner or have Create Expressions permission enabled, you can head over to the server and add the available amount of custom stickers for that server.
1. To get started, head into the Server Settings and select the Stickers tab.
2. Once redirected to the Sticker page, press the Upload Sticker button.
3. Then, select a file from your desktop. You’ll be required to enter a sticker name and choose a related emoji. We recommend giving your sticker a brief description so that folks who use screen readers can understand the content of the image when it’s used in a conversation.
4. Once those steps are completed, you should be all set!
For custom sticker requirements and tips, check out this article: Tips for Sticker Creators
How should I name my stickers?
While we don’t enforce a specific naming convention for custom stickers, here are some things to consider when thinking about a name:
- The sticker name should be easy to remember so members of your server can search for it when they want to use it.
- If your sticker has text in its image, naming the sticker after the text
- Naming the sticker after the emotion it displays, or the character and the emotion.
Example names for this sticker: Mad, Anger, Rage_Dog
Why do I need to select a related Unicode Emoji?
Adding a related unicode emoji to a custom sticker allows the sticker to show up in our sticker suggestion fields, which means users who can use your custom stickers will be able to find them easier when looking for stickers to send. This includes:
- Sticker suggestions that appear on desktop and mobile.
- When typing the related Unicode emoji into chat using :name:
- Searching for a sticker in your sticker drawer.
Optional: Entering a description (Alt-text)
We strongly recommend adding a short, concise description (alt-text) for each custom sticker. This will allow people who use screen readers to know what your sticker looks like without needing to see the actual sticker.
Good descriptions are short and descriptive of what a sticker looks like, plus describing the emotion the sticker is conveying.
Good Example Description: A pink flower character smiles peacefully as it steps across the screen.
Poor Example Description: Animated flower steps out of a blue circle with green sky and clouds.
Tips for writing descriptions
- Make sure to use proper spelling, capitalization, spacing, and grammar.
- Describe the image as you see it, and choose to write about the most important features of the image. Ideas on what to describe:
- Placement of objects within the image
- Subject (animal, human, etc)
- Emotions, like smiling or
- Clothing detail
- Text (if there’s some in the image)
- What not to write:
- Obvious details (like “human has two eyes and a nose”)
- Focusing on details not central to what’s happening in the image
- Using creative writing techniques
- Do not use emojis
Editing and Deleting Uploaded Custom Stickers
- Editing: Click on the pencil icon that appears when you hover your mouse over a sticker.
- Deleting: Click on the red ‘X’ icon that appears when you hover your mouse over a sticker to delete the sticker.
Note: You cannot edit the sticker file once it has been uploaded. If you want to replace the sticker file, you’ll need to delete this sticker and upload a new file!
Q: Who can use custom stickers that have been uploaded in my server?
A: Anyone who has joined your server can use custom stickers within your server. Users who have a Nitro subscription will be able to use the custom stickers anywhere on Discord (other servers, direct messages, etc).
Q: How can I prevent people from sending stickers in my server?
A: There’s no permission to completely disable sending stickers in a server. If you want to prevent your server members from sending custom stickers from other servers, you’ll need to disable the “Use External Emoji and Stickers” permission for the @everyone role in your server.
Q: What kind of content can I use for my stickers?
A: As is true for all content that you use on Discord, you are responsible for ensuring that any content you use for custom stickers complies with our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines.
Q: Once a sticker is deleted, can it be brought back?
A: No it cannot. There’s no way to undo this action, so once a custom sticker is deleted it’s gone for good!
Q: Can I upload multiple stickers at a time?
A: You won't be able to upload multiple stickers at once right now. If you’d like to see this in the future though, head to our feedback site and vote up the idea: https://dis.gd/feedback
Q: What happens to the previously uploaded custom stickers if the server loses a Boost level?
A: Don’t worry, your custom stickers are safe! If your server loses a Boost level, then you won’t be able to use the custom stickers in that level until the Boost level is reached again. You’ll also be able to see exactly which custom stickers can’t be used after losing a Boost level under Server Settings > Stickers.
Q: Can we delete stickers that are locked behind a recently lost Boost level?
A: Yes, you can still delete stickers in the locked level if you need to by following the same deletion steps listed above!
File Type Questions
Q: What’s the difference between APNG and a PNG file?
A: PNG files are a static, image file format that compresses images in a specific way to prevent quality loss. An APNG file is the animated version of this file format!
Q: Why can’t we use other file types for custom stickers?
A: We wanted to make sure your sticker creations looked just as beautiful in the app as when you’re creating them, so we chose file types that will help support that!