Excited to upload your own custom stickers for your server? Here's how to upload and manage custom stickers for your server!
As a default, all servers have 5 custom stickers slots for free. Your server can upload more custom stickers once the server has reached Boosting Levels 1, 2, or 3! Depending on what Boost level your server has reached will determine how many custom stickers you can upload.
- Default: 5 custom sticker slots
- Level 1: +10 custom sticker slots
- Level 2: +15 custom sticker slots (30 total)
- Level 3: +30 custom sticker slots (60 total)
Once your server has reached any Boost level, server owners and members whose role has the “Manage Emoji and Stickers” permission enabled can head into Server Settings > Stickers to upload and manage custom stickers.
Note: Managing custom stickers are only available on desktop. If you’re on iOS or Android, you’ll need to use the desktop or web apps to upload, edit, and delete custom stickers
All actions below are completed under the Server Settings > Stickers tab!
Uploading Custom Stickers
- Click on the Upload Sticker button.
- Select the file from your desktop.
- You’ll be required to enter a sticker name and choose a related emoji.
- We recommend giving your sticker a brief description so that folks who use screen readers can understand the content of the image when it’s used in a conversation.
For custom sticker requirements and tips, check out this article: Tips for sticker creators
How should I name my stickers?
While we don’t enforce a specific naming convention for custom stickers, here are some things to consider when thinking about a name:
- The sticker name should be easy to remember so members of your server can search for it when they want to use it.
- If your sticker has text in its image, naming the sticker after the text
- Naming the sticker after the emotion it displays, or the character and the emotion.
Example names for this sticker: Tired, Sleepy, Dozing Off
Why do I need to select a related Unicode Emoji?
Adding a related unicode emoji to a custom sticker allows the sticker to show up in our sticker suggestion fields, which means users who can use your custom stickers will be able to find them easier when looking for stickers to send. This includes:
- Sticker suggestions that appear on desktop and mobile.
- When typing the related Unicode emoji into chat using :name:
- Searching for a sticker in your sticker drawer.
Optional: Entering a description (Alt-text)
We strongly recommend adding a short, concise description (alt-text) for each custom sticker. This will allow people who use screen readers to know what your sticker looks like without needing to see the actual sticker.
Good descriptions are short and descriptive of what a sticker looks like, plus describing the emotion the sticker is conveying.
Good Example Description: A pink flower character smiles peacefully as it steps across the screen.
Poor Example Description: Animated flower steps out of a blue circle with green sky and clouds.
Tips for writing descriptions
- Make sure to use proper spelling, capitalization, spacing, and grammar.
- Describe the image as you see it, and choose to write about the most important features of the image. Ideas on what to describe:
- Placement of objects within the image
- Subject (animal, human, etc)
- Emotions, like smiling or
- Clothing detail
- Text (if there’s some in the image)
- What not to write
- Obvious details (like “human has two eyes and a nose”)
- Focusing on details not central to what’s happening in the image
- Using creative writing techniques
- Do not use emojis
Editing and Deleting Uploaded Custom Stickers
- Editing: Click on the pencil icon that appears when you hover your mouse over a sticker.
- Deleting: Click on the red ‘X’ icon that appears when you hover your mouse over a sticker to delete the sticker.
Note: You cannot edit the sticker file once it has been uploaded. If you want to replace the sticker file, you’ll need to delete this sticker and upload a new file!
Q: Who can use custom stickers that have been uploaded in my server?
A: Anyone who has joined your server can use custom stickers within your server. Users who have Nitro will be able to use the custom stickers anywhere on Discord (other servers, direct messages, etc).
Q: How can I prevent people from sending stickers in my server?
A: There’s no permission to completely disable sending stickers in a server. If you want to prevent your server members from sending custom stickers from other servers, you’ll need to disable the “Use External Emoji and Stickers” permission for the @everyone role in your server.
Q: What kind of content can I use for my stickers?
Q: Once a sticker is deleted, can it be brought back?
A: No it cannot. There’s no way to undo this action, so once a custom sticker is deleted it’s gone for good!
Q: Can I upload multiple stickers at a time?
A: You won't be able to upload multiple stickers at once right now. If you’d like to see this in the future though, head to our feedback site and vote up the idea: https://dis.gd/feedback
Q: What happens to the previously uploaded custom stickers if the server loses a Boost level?
A: Don’t worry, your custom stickers are safe! If your server loses a Boost level, then you won’t be able to use the custom stickers in that level until the Boost level is reached again. You’ll also be able to see exactly which custom stickers can’t be used after losing a Boost level under Server Settings > Stickers.
Q: Can we delete stickers that are locked behind a recently lost Boost level?
A: Yes, you can still delete stickers in the locked level if you need to by following the same deletion steps listed above!
File Type Questions
Q: What’s the difference between APNG and a PNG file?
A: PNG files are a static, image file format that compresses images in a specific way to prevent quality loss. An APNG file is the animated version of this file format!
Q: Why can’t we use other file types for custom stickers?
A: We wanted to make sure your sticker creations looked just as beautiful in the app as when you’re creating them, so we chose file types that will help support that!