Have you ever wanted to express yourself with unique avatars across all your servers? Perhaps you're in a tabletop roleplay game server and you want a server-specific avatar of your super cool character? Or maybe you're in a server all about coffee and you want a profile avatar of your favorite cup of hot bean juice? Well, now you can with our Nitro perk: Server Avatars!
What does this article cover?
- What are Server Avatars?
- How can I change my Server Avatar?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What happened to server nicknames?
- Do I get custom server avatars with Nitro Classic?
- What are the size limits and accepted file types for server avatars?
- Can I edit avatars after I upload them?
- Is there a limit to the number of custom server avatars I can have?
- Can I have more than 1 avatar in a server?
- Can I reset all my server avatars at once?
- Will I get in trouble for using an inappropriate image as a server avatar?
- Are server owners or admins able to change another server member's avatar like how they can change nicknames?
What are Server Avatars?
Server avatars are a new customization feature for Nitro users! With server avatars, users can set a different server-specific avatar for each of the servers they're in.
Note: Even if you upload a server avatar, your profile avatar will be unaffected and remain as your primary avatar in servers where you don't upload server avatars.
Like profile avatars, PNG and JPG are the supported file types and Nitro users can upload a GIF for their server avatars. After uploading a server avatar, you can crop and center PNG, JPG, and GIF files.
How can I change my Server Avatar?
Right-Click on your Avatar
In the browser or desktop app, you can right-click on your avatar in Member List of the server, which is the right side bar, and activate the the drop down menu.
Press on the Edit Server Profile option and an in-app pop-up window will appear. You can then press on your avatar to upload your server avatar.
Press the Save button to confirm your server avatar!
Left-Click on your Avatar
Alternatively, you can left-click on your avatar in the Member List, in a text channel, or in a voice channel to make the mini profile pop-up appear. You'll then see the option to Edit Server Profile and after you press on it, the same in-app pop-up window will appear for you to change your avatar.
Don't forget to press on the Save button to confirm your avatar change.
What if I want to reset my Server Avatar?
If you made a mistake with your server avatar or if you would like to revert your server avatar to your profile avatar, you can navigate to the in-app pop-up window following either of the two methods above and then press on Reset to Primary Avatar.
Changing your Server Avatar on Mobile
If you'd like to customize your Server Avatar while on the iOS or Android clients, you can do so through two ways: the User Profile and the Server Profile.
- Through the User Profile: In the server you want to apply a Server Avatar, press on your user avatar either in one of the channels you've messaged in or in the server's member list.
Through the Server Profile: Press on the ellipses by the name of the server you want to add a Server Avatar to.
- Select the Edit Server Profile button.
- Press on your current Server Avatar and choose Change Avatar/Change Server Avatar to start the process of selecting a new image from your mobile device's photo gallery.
- This is also where you can choose to remove your Server Avatar by pressing on the Reset to Primary Avatar instead.
- Don't forget to Save!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What happened to server nicknames?
A: Server nicknames still exist and are free to all Discord users! To change your server nickname, you can follow the same steps to change your server avatar, but instead input/change your server nickname in the in-app pop-up window.
You can learn more about server nicknames in this article!
Q: Do I get custom server avatars with Nitro Classic?
A: Nitro Classic users can still set server nicknames; however only Nitro users will be able to set custom server avatars.
You can learn more about Nitro and Nitro Classic in this article!
Q: What are the size limits and accepted file types for server avatars?
A: Accepted file types for server avatars are JPG, PNG, and GIF files. The maximum file size is 8 MB.
Q: Can I edit avatars after I upload them?
A: You can crop and center PNG, JPG, and GIF files
Q: Is there a limit to the number of custom server avatars I can have?
A: No, but there is a limit to the number of servers you can join. Nitro users can join up to 200 servers.
Q: Can I have more than 1 avatar in a server?
A: At this time, you may only set 1 custom avatar per server.
Q: Can I reset all my server avatars at once?
Unfortunately, there is no bulk editing option at this time. You will need to manually reset your avatar in each server.
Q: Will I get in trouble for using an inappropriate image as a server avatar?
Q: Are server owners or admins able to change another server member's avatar like how they can change nicknames?
No, server owners and/or admins do not have the ability to change a server member's server avatar or reset it to their primary avatar. If you notice someone using a server avatar that violates our Terms of Service or Community Guidelines, please use our report form to report the user to our Trust and Safety team.