With Scheduled events, you will now be able to schedule "events" in your server ahead of time so that your community can learn about and be notified of when they're occurring and be notified when you're live.
Note: Invite links to private channels for events will currently show up as invalid.
What this article covers:
- Giving or Removing Event Permissions
- How do I schedule an event?
- How do I start, edit, or delete an event?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Giving or Removing Event Permissions
As a server owner, you can manage which members are able to create, edit, or cancel events within the server by enabling or disabling event permissions.
If you would like to allow a specific role or server member to have the ability to create and edit/cancel an event, you can enable the Create Events permission.
To edit and cancel all events, the specific role or server member will need to have the Manage Events permission enabled.
Note: If Create Events permission is enabled, but Manage Events permission is not enabled, you will only be able to create, edit, and cancel the events you have created. If Manage Event permission is enabled, you will be able to edit and cancel all events.
The Create Event and Manage Event permission is available both on a server and channel level. On a channel level, you can edit these permissions in Edit Channel for each channel or by channel category through Edit Category.
1. To manage event permissions, head into your Server Settings by selecting the pull-down menu next to the server name.
2. Once in Server Settings, press the Roles tab and choose the role you would like to manage.
3. While in the Edit Role page, navigate to Permissions.
4. You will now be able to toggle the Create Events and Manage Events permissions under General Server Permissions.
How do I schedule an event?
Schedule an event for a Voice Chat
To schedule an event for a Voice Chat, you can adjust Voice Chat permissions for roles and server members by pressing on the cogwheel next to the name of the voice channel or by right-clicking on the channel name and choosing the Edit Channel option from the dropdown menu.
1. Once permissions have been set, press the down arrow next to your server's name and select the Create Event option from the menu.
2. Then, you should be able to choose the Voice Channel option and then select the desired under Select a Channel.
3. Afterwards, fill out the details for the event.
4. Once you have reviewed the details of your event, press Create Event and you should be all set!
Note: Scheduled events hosted within voice channels are not affected by the amount of server boosts within that server, but are limited to 99 participants.
Schedule an event for somewhere else
If you'd like to schedule an event that is held outside of a Voice Chat channel or a Stage channel, you can do so using the free-form template through the Somewhere Else option. In order to create an event that's not in a Stage Channel or a Voice Chat, you must have the server-wide Create Events permission.
1. To start, press the down arrow next to your server's name.
2. Select the Create Event option from the menu.
3. Then, choose the Somewhere Else option and input the text channel, external link, or the physical location name for the event.
4. Afterwards, you can fill out all the details for the event.
5. Once you have reviewed the details, press Create Event and that’s it!
If you would like to edit an event you’ve created, Create Events permissions must be enabled. However, if you would like to edit details or later cancel all events, you will need to have the server-wide Manage Events permission enabled for.
Schedule an event on a Stage Channel
In order to create a Stage Channel event, you must have the server-wide Create Events permission and be a Stage mod of the Stage Channel of the event.
You can find Stage Channel permissions by pressing on the cogwheel next to the name of the channel or by right-clicking on the channel name and choosing the Edit Channel option from the dropdown menu.
1. To create a Stage Channel Event, enter your stage channel.
2. Once you are in the stage channel, press the Create Event option.
3. Afterwards, you should be able to input all the details for your event.
4. If the event details are complete, you can confirm the details and schedule the event by selecting the Create Event button.
You can also create an event in a Stage Channel through the drop-down menu of the Server.
1. Press on the downward arrow next to the server name and choose Create Event.
2. Then, select the Stage Channel option and which Stage Channel you would like to use for your event.
3. Once done, press Next and fill out the details for the event.
4. After confirming the details, press Next once more. Then, you should be able to see a preview of your event on the final in-app window page.
5. Lastly, press Create Event and you should be good to go!!
If you’d like to learn more about the capabilities and limits for scheduled events hosted within a Stage channel, head over to the Stage Channels FAQ.
How do I start, edit, or cancel an event?
When you want to start an event, you can go to the Events option in the server's channel list, opening the in-app pop-up window, pressing the ellipses under the desired event, and selecting Start Event. This will send out a notification to all your server members who marked themselves as Interested to attend the event.
In order to start, edit, or cancel any events created by another individual, you will need to have the server-wide or channel-specific Manage Events permission enabled. However, if you happen to have Create Events permissions enabled, you will only be able to update events you have created.
If your event does not start within an hour of the scheduled time, our system will automatically remove your event from the list of Scheduled Events for your Community.
If you would like to edit or cancel an event, you can do so by pressing on the Events section in the server's channel list then pressing on the ellipses under the event that you would like to edit or delete.
How Does Link Sharing Work?
There are two types of event sharing links:
- Event Server Invite Links: these work similar to a server invite link, except it renders a special Event Embed in the Discord app that has event details and a button to RSVP. Users who aren’t in the server will be able to select this invite and join the server.
- Direct event links: these operate similar to message links. They will directly link you to the event and will only work if you have permission to see the event. If you’re not in the the server the link will not work.
Note: Only users with Invite Permissions can generate Event Server Invites. Events in private channels cannot generate Event Server invites and will default to Direct event links.
Frequently asked questions
Q: What happens if an event takes place in a voice channel with restricted access?
A: For events in restricted voice channels, only users with the right role/permissions to that channel can potentially attend the event and see the scheduled event in the Events option of the server's channel list.
Q: Will this be available on all platforms?
A: Our mobile platforms may take longer to rollout, but will be available across all platforms.
Q: What channels can I schedule events for?
A: At this point in time, events can be scheduled for Private Stages, Voice Channels, and there is a free form field for any additional place (e.g. physical location, text channel, etc) that you are hosting an event.
Q: What happens when I press on the "Interested" button for an upcoming event?
A: When you press on "Interested" for an event, you'll be letting the event host know that you'd like to attend and you'll also receive a notification when the event is officially live! You can also retract the notification reminder by re-pressing and retracting your interest.
Q: What if I forget to start my own event (as an event owner/host)?
A: If your event does not start within 8 hours of the scheduled time, our system will automatically remove your event from the list of Scheduled Events for your Community.
Q: Why should I even schedule an event?
A: Events essentially provide your Community the opportunity to receive advanced notice for things happening in the server! Community members also receive a notification when the event goes live if they're "Interested" in the event, which helps ensure no one misses it.
Q: When do I need to schedule events by?
A: There's no specific time limit to how far in advance an event must be created. As long as the event hasn't yet started, you'll be able to schedule one for your Community!
Q: How many scheduled events can a server have?
A: At this point in time, there's a cap of 100 scheduled events that can take place in a server at one point in time.
Q: What permissions do I need to schedule an event?
A: Events require a specific permission for creating, starting, editing, and deleting. The "Manage Event" permission can be enabled by going to Server Settings > Roles > Edit Role > Permissions > Manage Event.
If hosting an event in a Stage Channel, you will need to be a Stage Mod for the channel. If hosting an event in a Voice Chat channel, you can have just the channel-specific Manage Event permission or the server-wide Manage Event permission as well as the other channel-specific permissions, such as View, Speak, and Connect.
Q: Why can't I share an event?
A: The permissions for sharing events are tied to creating invite links. If a user has permissions to invite other users to the channel, they will also have permissions to share events tied to that channel.
Q: When does the Event tab show up in my server?
A: For Community servers, the Event tab will always show for users with the “Manage Events” permission. It does not show to anyone else unless there is an upcoming event.