Looking to utilize forum channels in your server? You can learn more about forum channels below!
What does this article cover?
- What are Forum Channels?
- How do forums help my community?
- What's the best way to set up forums?
- How do I create a Forum Channel?
- Getting Started
- Additional Frequently Asked Questions
This feature is currently in beta.
What are Forum Channels?
Forum channels provide a space for organized discussions. With forums, you can discuss specific topics and not worry about talking over each other. Since discussions are contained in posts, it’s easier to jump in on an existing one (or start a new one) without worrying about your message getting buried!
Forums are great for discussions, advice, looking-for-group (LFG) posts, buy/sell listings, and Q&A channels. Examples include:
Tip: Generally, Forum channels with clear, specific titles provide guidance on the purpose of the channel.
How do forums help my community?
Forums improve the way your community engages with each other by helping them:
- Start new discussions without feeling like they’re interrupting on-going conversations
- Glance at existing topics to easily catch up and see which ones they want to jump in on
- Contribute to discussions without feeling like they’re bringing back stale conversations
What’s the best way to set up forums?
- To maximize engagement, allow all members to create posts. Worried about moderation? We got you! We’ve rolled out AutoMod to help you.
- Make your forum channel’s purpose clear. Set up guidelines, add tags, and create the first posts to help members see how to use the forum channel effectively.
- Make sure to archive or remove text channels that cover the same topics as the forum channel so it’s clear to members where they should be posting their discussions.
- Make an announcement about the new forum channel and encourage them to try it out!
How do I create a Forum Channel?
1. In the channel list, hover over the channel category where you want your Forum Channel to live and hit the "+" icon to Create a Channel.
2. Select Forum as the channel type, and enter a channel name.
3. Then click Create Channel when you're done!
Once you have created a brand new Forum channel, you will be directed to the getting started section.
First up is channel permissions. These permissions determine which members have access to Forum channels.
Press Set recommended permissions. From here, you can limit access to the Forum Channel to specific roles. Or you can also enable @everyone to allow all users to gain access.
Tip: Allowing everyone to post in a forum channel helps increase overall engagement and usage of the channel!
Next, you can create guidelines for your Forum Channel.
Pressing Create guidelines will take you to the Guidelines settings page. From here, you can change the Channel name, add guidelines, and designate Tags, which helps organize posts into subcategories.
Note: Tags can help label specific posts
With your guidelines all set up, you can make your first post!
I forgot to tag my posts when creating my post!
If you forgot to add tags to your post, you can add them by right-clicking on your post and navigating to Edit Tags, and selecting your desired tags.
Additional Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When will I get access to Forum Channels?
A: We’re currently testing Forum Channels with only a limited number of servers. Stay tuned as we roll this feature out to more servers.
Q: What’s the difference between Forums and Text channels?
A: While Text channels are great for in-the-moment discussions, Forum channels provide a place for more drawn-out discussion around specific topics. Discussions are tied to individual posts so they are more organized and easier for members of your community to get up to speed and join a conversation.
Q: How will Forum Channels be moderated?
A: We’ve released a new content moderation feature called AutoMod to help moderators detect and remove problematic content faster while minimizing extra work.
If the volume of posts and message activity is concerning, Slow Mode can help make moderation for forums more manageable.
We’ve also updated our API Documentation, so bot developers have the information they need to integrate moderation support for forums into their products.
Q: What’s the best way to test forums with my community?
A: While all communities are different, we recommend rolling out forums to your community gradually. This way, your community won’t experience big, jarring changes, and they’ll have time to get used to it. One example of a roll-out could look like this:
- Create a private forum for you and your moderators to test and discuss plans
- Identify existing text channels where forums might be a good fit and replace them
- Create new forum channels with the proper guidelines and tags
- Make an announcement to inform your community about the changes and encourage them to provide feedback
- If your community’s feedback is largely positive, identify larger “core” text channels that could benefit from the organization forums bring
Q: Can you adjust the auto-archive period or is it a fixed default?
A: The auto-archive period can be adjusted between 1 hour, 24 hours, 3 days, and 1 week in the Forum channel setting.