Joining a community server can be extremely overwhelming and confusing. It's common to have to go through a series of convoluted steps that take you from channels to channels before you can participate in the server. It should not be this hard. Introducing Rules Screening!
In order to see this feature, you must enable Community for your Discord server.
What this article covers:
- What is Rules Screening?
- Admin Settings
- Rules Screening for Joining Server Members
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Rules Screening?
Rules screening allows you to set up rules that new members must explicitly agree to before they can talk, react, or DM Other members.
Note: Manually verifying a member (Server Settings > Members) will bypass this requirement.
If you are the owner of the server or a server admin, you can customize the rules and review applications within the server.
1. To get started, head over to Server Settings by selecting the dropdown menu next to the server name.
2. Then, head to the Safety Setup tab under the Moderation category in the left side bar.
3. Once you arrive at the Safety Set Up page, you will be able to customize the Rules Screening, Verification Level, and Automod settings.
How to Customize Rules Screening
If you’d like to add Rules Screening to your server, navigate to the Safety Set Up tab within your Server Settings to get started.
1. Once in the Safety Set Up page, select the Edit button within DM and Spam Protection.
2. Within DM and Spam Protection, press Members must accept rules before they can talk or DM. This will open the Set up server rules menu.
3. To set up the rules you would like to add for Rules Screening, press the Get Started button to open the Server Rules menu.
4. Within Server Rules, you can select any example rules provided or you can create customized rules. If you’d like to add additional rules, select Add a Rule.
You can create a maximum of 16 server rules.
5. Once the rules have been set, be sure to press Save and enable Members must accept rules before they can talk for Rules Screening.
- We know communities often need more sophisticated screening methods like custom response/manual application, oAuth, and Linked Roles.
- We are hard at work building these features so that we can release them to you soon as well! We sadly don't have an exact ETA when these features will be released, but stay tuned for more details soon!
Rules Screening for Joining Server Members
If you are joining a server with Rules Screening enabled, you will see a bar at the bottom that asks you to complete a few more steps before you can talk.
Before you can participate in the server, you will need to read and agree to the Server Rules.
Once you agree to the rules, press submit and you will have access to the server!
Before proceeding further:
- If you have a bot role gate currently enabled, make sure you re-enable perms on @everyone when you enact Rules Screening to ensure it works properly.
- We've ensured that pending members are not able to talk, DM server members, or react until they've accepted the rules.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I currently use a role gating through a third-party bot to have members agree to rules should, I use this instead?
A: We recommend switching to our Rules Screening because in order to DM or talk in the server, members must agree to the rules. Existing bot gates do not protect against DMs to server members and are confusing for new members. If you are worried about moderation or safety, you can enable Automod and Raid Protection.
Q: I don't currently use role gating on my server. Should I set up rules screening now?
A: If you would like new members to explicitly agree to rules, Rules Screening is an easy way to set it up. However, do note that it will add another step to joining your server which can sometimes lead to a drop off in joiners.
Q: Are there other types of membership screening capabilities?
A: Rules screening is currently our only available membership screening capability.
Have feedback or Ideas? Send them over to us here!